Potato is an all-time favorite vegetable for all. It tastes amazing in every cooked form either it’s boil, roasted, fried, or even sautéed. Tater tots are also made of grated potatoes. An air fryer is not less than a magical kitchen appliance because you can easily make any meal of your choice without even using excessive oil. Deep-fried items can also be made in an air fryer without oil.
The air fryer works by circulating the hot air inside the closed chamber of the machine in which the food cooks properly and easily. Air fryer works as the best alternative for both the deep fryer and also the oven. When it comes to potato fries or tater tots everyone wishes to have the healthy version of it that is less in carbs and not deep-fried and to this problem, the solution is an air fryer.
Tater Tots in Air Fryer
It is really easy to make tater tots and when it comes to air fryer tater tots then be satisfied for the best version of it, hands down to the best snack. These can be made in different ways but the 15 minutes air frying method is the easiest one.
The recipe for tater tots is so good because it is a healthier and an easy way of cooking a favorite game-day snack or you can say evening snack or you can also eat it as a side dish with the main course of the meal. It cooks in very little time like it only takes 15 minutes to get ready like in an air fryer. Believe me! These are seriously very delicious. It tastes like the deep-fried ones but is so much healthier than that! You seriously need only three ingredients to make these unbelievably crispy tots.
The three ingredients that are needed to make tater tots are simple some grated potatoes, some salt, and avocado or olive oil. You can also use cooking spray instead of oil and that cooks the food perfectly in the air fryer. The simple salt and potato always proved to be the best combination together either as fries, crispy chips, or even in the form of tots.
Frozen Tater Tots in Air Fryer
Frozen tater tots can also be made in the air fryer as for that all you need to do is to buy a readymade pack of it and fry it in the air fryer. Frozen tater tots in an air fryer are way more crispy than oven-baked as it gives a crunch and crisp just like the deep-fried ones and the best part is that it does not smell like oil or grease in taste because of no excessive oil used.
Not only the frozen tater tots, but you can also make any of the frozen items in the air fryer and you will get the crispy and crunchy outer layer of it as you get in the deep fryer or in the oven. An air fryer is known as a healthier appliance because it helps to make food in low calories and carbs. You can air fry the nuggets, sausages, crispy frozen rolls, pizza rolls, frozen fries, etc.
How to cook Tater Tots in Air Fryer
If you are not very fond of cooking and just go for the easy recipes then you can also make this crispy and healthy snack anytime by yourself. The easy to cook frozen tots are ready to get fried and you can also use them where all you need to do is to buy a frozen tater tots pack and just place the frozen tots in the fryer by making sure that the tots do not stick to each other or else the overflowed basket of AF can also make the soggy out layer rather than the crispy one.
Take only 3 ingredients:
- Potatoes (boil and grated) or just grated
- avocado or olive oil
- All-purpose flour to combine the mixture
- Optional: Black pepper and paprika.
Take the grated potatoes first and then add the mentioned spices to them. Make the shape and set it aside on a plate. Use cooking spray and spray the basket of the air fryer.
Another common question that people asked is, how long to cook tater tots in an air fryer? Let the AF set to get preheated for 3 to 4 minutes at 400 degrees F. Than place the potatoes crunchies in a single layer in the chamber (basket) use the spray gun and then again closed the bucket and set the timer for 8 to 10 minutes on a temperature of 400 degrees F.
How to Cook Tater Tots in Air Fryer
It is so quick, easy, delicious, and hassle-free as you can cook the tots right after making them or using the frozen ones just by taking them off the packet. This is for sure a happy snack that must have to serve on weekends to family and friends.
In order to make the tater tots you need to preheat an air fryer first at 400º F. It is not necessary to preheat because some of the AF does not require preheating. It depends on the company, so for that, you must always check out the instructions written by the company on the manual of the machine. And if it allows you to preheat for better results with proper instructions then do that are mentioned.
Take the grated potato and add salt to it make the shape of tater tots like the rectangular type puff shape and coat them with a little cooking spray or the olive or avocado oil. You can also make the simple potato tots in shape and then sprinkle them with salt and toss it to get a proper coating on them.
These easy steps help to produce the best air fryer tater tots. Cook them for 15 minutes at 400 degrees F and flip those in the fryer basket-like every 5 minutes or so it will get perfectly tossed in between halfway done and gives an even cook on all sides. It will give the crisp and golden color as the medium brown in a few spots just like the deep-fried crispy layer. If you feel like having crisper then you can simply set the timer for 3 to 4 more minutes to cook it to the desired level.
Homemade Tater Tots Air Fryer
Homemade meals and snacks are always satisfying either it’s fries, nuggets, sausages, or rolls, etc. But homemade stuff is always tempting. If you want to make the homemade tasty tater tots than you need the following ingredients:
- Two pounds of russet potatoes, (peeled and grated)
- One tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- One teaspoon of the garlic powder
- Half teaspoon of the onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of the dried oregano or mix herbs
- 1/4 teaspoon of the dried dill
- Kosher salt as per taste and freshly ground black pepper up to your taste
- Two tablespoons of vegetable oil or olive oil
- Two tablespoons of chopped and fresh parsley leaves
- First, you need to place the potatoes in a large saucepan and fill it with cold water by around one inch.
- Bring it like the water to the boil and then cook the potatoes until parboiled, as for about 6-7 minutes; and then drain well with cold water or let it cool without washing it with cold water.
- Take a box grater for grating the potatoes, and finely shred like grate the potatoes.
- Now you need to take a clean towel or any cheesecloth for the draining purpose of the potatoes completely, however, you only need to remove the water from the potato like the starch as much water as you possibly can.
- Now transfer your all potatoes to another big or large shallow bowl.
- Stir the all-purpose flour, the garlic powder, some of the onion powder, some oregano, and the dill; mix these spices and season it with some salt and the pepper, up to taste.
- The made mixture formed should have a binding and should also be workable but also too dry.
- Form the potatoes shape into tots.
- Preheat the air fryer for 3 to 4 minutes by adding the cooking spray to it.
- After preheating just place the tots on the air fryer basket and again use the cooking spray and just simply set the timer for 8 to 10 minutes and set the temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Check the tot’s ones done, if you wish to have some more crunchiness or crispiness on the outer layer with the golden brown color then simply set the time for 2 to 3 more minutes.
After trying the described recipe of homemade new version, you surely will never ever have to walk away or walk down your freezer aisle ever again to grab the frozen items because nothing can beat the homemade version, and it is even truer when we talk about the freezer version.
All you need is easily available in the kitchen, a cheese or veggie grater to shred the parboiled done potatoes and that’s all for everyone to enjoy cooking the tater tots. You can enjoy every bit of it only if you get the fresh and hot tots that are freshly made in the air fryer and served quickly.
Here you can simple also add on your desired or readymade seasonings in the tots, also you can also make them in the deep fryer but the results of the deep fryer will not be the healthiest version and it will also be greasy.
In order to get the best results by using your air fryer, you need to fill the chamber of the air fryer with a single layer like you can make tots in different batches where the single batch tots will not stick to each other. Even if you want to make multiple batches, then also it will be worthy of it.
If you want to simply cook the multiple layers at once then ensure to shake the basket-like mix well the fryer basket in between the cooking process to give the even cook to the basket. However, the air fryer takes the whole time that you will set, or else you can also stop the cooking before the completion of time.
Ore Ida Tater Tots Air Fryer
A very common question is asked by the people is; can we air fry the Ore Ida fries?
The answer is simple and that is YES!
All you need to do is to preheat the air fryer at 400 degrees F and cook the tots for 8 minutes at the temperature of 400 degrees F. Shake the tot’s basket of air fryer once during cooking as it will surely give the perfect result. So yes! You can absolutely cook the frozen tater tots in an air fryer.
You can make the frozen tots easily in the air fryer without any hustle and that will surely be a healthy version.
Meals that can be Served with Tater Tots:
Tater tots can be served as an appetizer or as a side dish with so many meals or with the main course. Kids and adults almost everyone loves these as a sideline or a snack.
- It can be served with the fish sandwiches or with baked fish (breaded or not)
- It can be served with hotdogs or a hamburgers
- It is also served on the side of any chicken meal like chicken Caesar salad, stakes, etc.
- It is served with tacos or with taco salads
- Or you can just eat these tater tots with ketchup because that tastes amazing as potatoes are life!
Tips To Make Air Fryer Potato Tots
These few tips will definitely help you in making the best air fryer tater tots:
- Preheat the air fryer for crispy tater tots results.
- Use the cooking oil spray and seasoned some salt that really helps to crisp the tater tots, and make sure not to skip the given ingredients.
- Flip or toss these tots in the basket of AF during the cooking, so they cook perfectly and evenly.
- Use the organic brand frozen tater tots that are the healthy version.
- Serve it immediately as soon as they are done.